Ballymacoda/Ladysbridge Community Council
Welcome to our beautiful part of East Cork
Serving the communities of Ballymacoda, Ladysbridge, Garryvoe and Knockadoon
IPB PRIDE OF PLACE
We were delighted on Dec. 2nd to be awarded runner up prize in our category at the IPB Pride of Place awards in Letterkenny. It was a long wait from August 15th, the judgement day, to finding out how we did but we were very pleased to come home with this prestigious award. Congratulations also to Carrigtwohill and Clonakilty who won their categories.
LADYSBRIDGE TIDY TOWNS EXPERIMENT
Ladysbridge Tidy Towns recently ran a 'Clean like your Granny did' experiment with 10 volunteers who were provided with a kit containing environmentally kind ingredients such as vinegar, bread soda, soda crystals, salt and lemons. For 3 weeks they substituted these for their normal cleaners and contrasted and compared the results. For anyone interested in trying this at home, the cheat sheet full of tips, tricks and recipes can be downloaded here.
Ballymacoda/Ladysbridge Community Council has been in existence for over 20 years and serves a wide area including Garryvoe, Ladysbridge, Ballymacoda and Knockadoon. Through our sub-committees we provide a variety of services for the wider community.
The community council is affiliated to Muintir na Tire, the national organisation promoting community development in Ireland and is part of a national network of community groups dedicated to promoting and supporting local development within their communities.Through its core principles of neighbourliness, self-help and self-reliance, Muintir na Tíre has promoted and supported the concept of active community participation and championed the idea of community development in both Ireland and Europe. Muintir na Tíre’s approach is based around “the whole community” as a unit of organisation through which social, economic, cultural and environmental development can take place.
The Community Council meets monthly as a unit while additionally sub committees hold their own individual meetings on a regular basis.
Councillors for each constituency are elected every two years with the next election being held in the autumn of 2017. Our mission is to enhance the capacities of people in our community to become involved in local social, economic, cultural and environmental development.
We can be contacted via the Contact Us section of the website. Your local councillor makes door to door visits at least once per year so please do make contact with them if there's anything you want to highlight in your constituency. We would love to hear your ideas and suggestions.
We are also on facebook so please check out our page at https://www.facebook.com/BLCConline
We have a thriving and vibrant community stretching from Garryvoe, through Ladysbridge, Ballymacoda and all the way to Knockadoon. The area is divided into constituencies and there is always something happening.
Constituency A ( West): Rathcallan Woods
This constituency includes the following townlands: Bridgetown, Blossom Park, Dromada Beg Urban, Rathcallan Urban, Ladysbridge and Rathcallan Wood.
30 years ago or more this area had 15 homes. Blossom Park and Rathcallan Wood did not exist and in their place was a field on my family’s farm that we know as the bridge field. Half of the homes were also businesses. This included 2 pubs, 4 shops, a Post office and shop and a blacksmiths forge. Bridgetown had one home (Bob Lees), Ladysbridge had one home known to us then as Scullys, Dromada Beg Urban had 9 homes and Rathcallan Urban had 4 homes one of which had a Pub and the National School.
For the children growing up in the village and surrounding area the shops in this part of the village were known as Statia’s, Tilly’s , Woods (Aunty Mae’s to me as Mrs Woods was my grand-aunt), Lees and the Post office which was run by a man called Dick White. John Joe Cahill and his wife Maureen had the Thatch pub then and the O'Neills also had a pub. John Joe was a blacksmith and had his forge at the side of the Thatch just opposite Motherway’s on the Bohillane road.
Just behind the Thatch Pub was the School and that was in use until 1972 when it was closed and the Kilcredan School was opened amalgamating the 3 schools in the parish. The school had 2 teachers. The master, who had classes from 3rd to 6th class and the Mistress, who had the infants to 2nd class. At that time when preparing for Communion and Confirmation is was just a case of going across the road to the church. The master lived in the house beside the school. The school was built in 1891 and celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1991. Many of the former teachers and pupils gathered on that occasion for tea and to reminisce about times past. Besides the Master's house were two adjoined cottages. After that there were no other houses.
As the years passed an additional house was built in Bridgetown and 3 were built in Rathcallan Urban. In 1993 Blossom Park was built with the addition of 5 houses and in 2000 building started in Rathcallan Wood . When complete there were 32 houses in the estate.
So, big changes have happened over the years. The original Thatch pub burned down in the mid-nineties and was rebuilt. This is the existing pub in Ladysbridge. The 5 shops are gone but we have the garage and post office run by the O’ Flynn family who had a shop originally on the Ballymacoda road opposite the church car park. John Joe had retired but there is a DVD video on his work as a blacksmith. There are now 56 houses in this constituency. Some families have lived here all their lives, some grew up in this area, had moved away and have moved back and some are families new to this area.
By Rosemarie Motherway.
Councillors for this area: Rosemarie Motherway and Margaret Motherway
Constituency B: Ightermurragh and Rathaha
The townland of Ightermurragh is nestled between Ladysbridge and Ballymacoda. The story of how Ightermurragh got its name is a very interesting one. In the early 17th century, the then Seneschal of Imokilly was dying and had no male heir. He gathered his three daughters and allowed them to choose which of his lands they wanted to inherit in order of seniority. The eldest daughter chose 'The Wheaten Inch', the area now known as Castlerichard and built her homestead there. The middle daughter requested and was granted the green hill - now known as Knockglass. The youngest then declared 'Agus an t-iochtar mo rogha' - the lower (land) is my choice - and from that time on Ightermurragh was named.
The youngest daughter was named Margaret Fitzgerald and her ambition was to build a castle far superior both in dimensions and comfort to that of her sisters. She married Edmund Supple and in 1641 they built Ightermurragh Castle near the southern bank of the river Womanagh. Although now a ruin, it is still an impressive sight standing four storeys tall with a cross-shaped plan. The main building runs east and west and measures 72 feet long by 32 feet wide. The walls are 5 feet thick and the castle originally was 5 stories in height. The castle had tall chimney stacks and mullioned windows and must have looked quite impressive. The main entrance is on the first storey. On the second storey, a lintel over the fireplace bears an inscription in Latin which includes their names and the date of construction. The castle had an amazing 12 fireplaces and 44 windows. They didn't have much opportunity to enjoy the comforts of their castle however, as it was captured soon after completion. The young couple had to flee with their baby daughter during the rebellion of 1641. When their daughter grew up, she married a Killeagh gentleman named Capel. In the time of Cromwell, the castle was confiscated and given to Boyle, in whose family it remained for generations.
Another area of note well worth a visit is the old graveyard in Ightermurragh. It was the site of an original Church of Ireland church but only a tiny section of a gable wall of this structure remains today. The grounds are very well kept. There is a Chest and a Table Tomb, along with iron-railing surround for several headstones. The Earl of Shannon buried three of his servants here and erected a headstone in their memory. On the external wall a plaque has been erected to commemorate Michael O'Brien of this townland, who was one of the Manchester Martyrs. There is also a monument to the Manchester Martyrs in the centre of the village in Ladysbridge. The graveyard has been painstakingly mapped by members of the Community Council historic committee. See http://historicgraves.com/graveyard/ightermurragh/co-igma for more information.
The councillors for this area are Sandra Burfield and Suzanne O'Sullivan.
Constituency D - Kilcreheen
This constituency consists of 5 townlands , Kilcraheen, Ballyfleming , Gortcorcoran , Curraghlea and Gortavella.
The Population is 80 approx over 18's. A derelict building which was an old school still stands in the townland of Ballyfleming. This school was was active from 1842 to 1887 when Kilcredan old school opened. The building measured 38ft x 18 x 10. About 100 children were on the roll and the teacher's salary was £8 per year.
The current councillors are Denis Collins and Liz Lynch.
Constituency E: Kilcredan - Barnfield - Ballydaniel
The townland of Kilcredan has a long history with education in the parish. It goes back to a hedge school being on a board of education file in 1826 and after that the old Kilcredan school was in place from the last decade of the 1800s up to 1972 when the present school was opened.
Kilcredan church and graveyard can be traced back to records of 1244. Historic Graves | The on-line graves and graveyards finder is a great website to get a lot of information on this and other graveyards in the parish.
Ballydaniel is another townland with a lot of links with local history, the most famous link being Fr. Peter O'Neill whose history goes back to the time of the United Irishmen. From Ballydaniel there are stunning views over Youghal bay.
BLCC councillors for this area are Denis McCarthy and Tracy O'Mahony.
Constituency F: Curraheen, Shanakiel, Yellowford and Fanisk
This contituency contains the townlands of Curraheen, Shanakiel, Yellowford and Fanisk and has 34 houses.
The poet Pádraig Piaris Condúin was born in this area. He emigrated to America. He wrote poetry which appeared in national school books. His plaque can be seen on the wall of Ballymacoda Community Hall.
The River Womanagh, the longest river in East Cork, flows along the border of this constituency. It is a renowned river for trout fishing.
The house that is now occupied by Cormac Lynch was once a police R.I.C. barracks between 1850 and 1900.
The councillors for this area are James O'Keeffe and Mary Rohan.
Constituency G: Aghavine, Gortavadda
Situated at the eastern end of the parish Aghavine townland (meaning arable land) is beside the Womanagh River which separates our parish from Youghal. The river runs into the sea at Ring point. The townland is roughly 500 acres of arable land but nearer the river marsh land. Currently there are 22 houses in Aghavine stretching from Bainin's cross at one end to the ScrathRook bend on the Killeagh road to the Crompaun Bridge crossing the Womanagh river on the Youghal road. The constituency ends at the stream on the Ballymacoda road after the O'Donoghue homestead. It has many Irish placenames such as Pairc Na Cruaithe, Rathard, Pairc Dhala. As with all townlands of the parish emigration over the years has played a part in everyone's life.Each house has seen someone emigrate since the 1800s.
Fr O Neill's Sportsfield complex was developed in 1984 but prior to this the sportsfield was a mile or so from where you see it now , also in Aghavine but nearer to the village of Ballymacoda and near where the McCarthys are living now. From a historical view Peter O Neill Crowley was born in Aghavine in what is now the home of the Rooney family. He fought in the uprising in 1867, was shot in Kilclooney Wood and is buried in Ballymacoda Churchyard.
Gortavadda (meaning long field) is a small townland between Aghavine and Ballydaniel. It has a little river or stream running through it and is a natural habitat for wild life. It consists of only a few houses and the land is the same as Aghavine both arable and marshland.
The councillors for this area are Anne Griffin and Ellen Jackson.
Constituency K: Knockadoon, Ballyskibole and Ring
Constituency K is made up of the townlands of Knockadoon, Ballyskibole and Ring. It is bounded by the Ballymacoda Bay Special Protection Area to the North West and Capel Island and Knockadoon Head Nature Reserve to the East.
Other notable points of interest are the old signal tower in Knockadoon alongside the World War 2 lookout post and the old Coastguard station in Ring. The view East from Knockadoon is dominated largely by Capel Island. Originally a lighthouse was to be erected on the island but it was never finished as it was deemed that the lighthouses in Youghal and Ballycotton were sufficient. The building was capped off and the result is the magnificent tower we see there today.
Farming and fishing are the dominant forms of commercial activity in the constituency with other commercial endeavours including a caravan park, a horse training facility and also some Arts and Crafts activities.
Wildlife is mainly of the avian variety with a diverse range including Peregrines, Chough, Little Egrets, Oystercatchers, Cormorants, etc. Otters and Seals are some of the more unusual mammals in the parish.
The currently elected councillors are Mike Walsh, John V O’Brien and Aidan Healy.
Constituency Q: Bohillane, Gortstoke, Parknahyla, Glenagare, Dromada
Constituency Q is made up of the town lands of Bohillane, Gortstoke, Parknahyla, Glenagare East, Dromada Beg, Dromada Mor and Glenagare West.
Bohillane is an area which exhibits the remains of an ancient church and graveyard. The ruins of Bohillane Church are situated within the grounds of Bohillane Graveyard. The churchyard of Bohillane or Boughellane which is only about 50 feet square, lies on the top of a hill about five miles to the north-east of Cloyne.
The earliest inscribed headstones within the graveyard date back to 1704. The graveyard and the ancient remains which it encases are enclosed by a stonewall, erected in 1831 by the last rector of Bohillane, Rev. William Chatterton as is recorded upon a plaque placed near the entrance gate of the graveyard.
Councillors for this area are Rita Law and Sheila Hayes.
Constituency R: Garranassig, Rathcallan, and Part of Knockglass
Constituency R is made up of the townslands of Garranassig, Rathcallan, and Part of Knockglass.
The current 2015 BLCC Councilors are Martina Joyce and Paul Fearon.
Garranassig House was formerly a Landlords house by the name of Bartrum. One notable site in the area is Bohillane Churchyard which borders Garranassig and is worth a visit:
BOHILLANE CHURCHYARD - James Coleman in ‘Journal of the Association for the Preservation of the Memorials of the Dead in Ireland, Vol. VII, 1907-08.´ Transcribed by Anita Sheahan Coraluzzi -The little churchyard of Bohillane, or Boughellane, which is only about 50 feet square, lies on the top of a hill about five miles to the north-east of Cloyne, and possesses the rather unique character of being walled in by a stone wall. This wall was due to a Protestant clergyman, as shown by the tablet inserted in the pillar of the gateway leading into it on the roadside, there being an unused space intervening between the outer gateway and the churchyard proper. The inscription on the gateway is as follows:- ‘The Rev. William Chatterton has caused this churchyard of Boughlaune to be enclosed at his own expense July 1881.´ The walls of the old church here can still be traced, being about 33 feet long by 12 wide, and less than 2 feet high, and running from north to south. The graveyard is kept quite free from weeds. There are only two modern headstones, and not more than fourteen or fifteen in all. The following are the inscriptions on the older ones:-
BURKE - Erected by Patrick Burke of/ Ballybimikin in memory/ of his Father David Burke (remainder covered up)
COLBERT - Erected/ by William Colbert in Memory/ of his Father Patrick Colbert/ late of Ballybraher who dep/ this life 31 May 1815 aged 55 years/ his Sister Bridget died Dec 1833/ aged 30 years/ Also his Mother Bridget Colbert/ died 3 May 1835 aged 58 years. May they rest in peace Amen
DALY/GUIRY - Erected by/ John Daly/ in memory of his wife Johanna Guiry/ who depd this life Sept the 5th 1813 Aged 57 years. May she &c.
DONOVAN - Here/ lyeth the Body of/ William Donovan who departed this Life January the 18th 1772 Aged 55/ years Also his Wife/ Anne Fitzgerald who deceased the 8th of December 1791/ Aged 62 years
KINELEY - Here/ lyeth the body of/ William Kineley who died January the 7th, 1788/ Aged 27 years
LINAHAN - Here/ lies the Body of/ Edmund Linahan/ who deceased March 14th 1769/ Aged 58 years
MEHIGAN - Erected by David/ Mehigan in memory/ of his Father John Me/ higan who died the 28 of June 1794(? poss 1704) Aged/ 66 years/ May he &c.
O BRYAN - Erected/ By Jeremiah O´Bryan in Memory of his Father John O´Bryan who died the May/ 1788 Aged 77 years. His Mother Margaret (remainder covered up)
BLCC is made up of a number of sub committees
Looking after our many miles of coastline
The Coast Care sub committee cares for our coast. Committee volunteers identify local environmental problems and work together to achieve practical solutions. We tackle problems like litter control, erosion, loss of native plants , water pollution, weeds and control of human access to sensitive areas. The committee provides opportunities for the community to become actively involved in works to protect and manage our coastal and marine environments.
Looking after our older and vulnerable people
Community Alert is a community safety programme for rural areas with an emphasis on older and vulnerable people. It operates as a partnership between the community, An Garda Síochána and Muintir na Tíre. It works on the principle of shared responsibility for crime prevention and reduction. The aims of the Community Alert Programme are to foster the process of community development, to reduce opportunities for crimes to occur, to unite communities in a spirit of neighbourliness and community service and to devise programmes to improve the quality of life for all in rural communities.
Engaging with all our community
Our aim is to engage with all members of the community. To host varied interest events in the hope of attracting as many people as possible. However, we have a particular interest in the older person. We wish to support the older person by arranging various activities, of interest to them, throughout the year. We offer a safe and secure environment allowing them to meet and chat with friends and neighbours, young and old. Our objective is to increase the number of people, male and female, using the service and to again broaden the service offering.
Committee members are Lorna Rice Davis from BLCC; Mary Lee and Mary Colbert are volunteers.
First responder training
Five Defibriillators have been placed at different locations in the Parish since September 2011.
The Committee maintain and keep these AEDs up to date, keep our Volunteers Certification up to date, provide practises during the year and train as many people as possible who wish to know how to perform CPR.
In 2016 practise sessions have been held in February, April, June and there are two more planned for September and November.
The Defibrillator committee members are Margaret Hyde and Stephen Belton.
Remembering the past in our present
The parish of Ballymacoda and Ladysbridge is rich in history and culture and studying it is like opening a door into our past. Local history and folklore was something not learned at school and can be forgotten and lost if not written down by local people in their own area.
The Historial Committee of Ballymacoda/Ladysbridge Community Council Ltd look forward - to looking back, preserving and promoting our past.
Knockadoon Enhancement Project
Development of the Knockadoon peninsula
The Knockadoon Enhancement Project was set up in 2014 to act as a ‘Tidy Towns’ for the area around Knockadoon. This area, known as the Knockadoon Peninsula comprises of Knockadoon, Ballyskibole and parts of Ring and Glenawilling. Activities include (but are not limited to) the installation and maintenance of street furniture and signage in the area, the reopening and upkeep of old walkways and the general improvement in appearance of the area.
Keeping us connected
Whenever there's a BLCC event you'll generally find the social committee in the kitchen providing teas, coffees and refreshments.
In addition the Social Committee run the very successful 'Night by the Fire' events twice annually. This is a complimentary event for all our community held in Ballymacoda Hall and is an evening of music (our hosts are the ever popular local group, Na Cairde), song, stories, recitations and good old fashioned catching up with our neighbours.
Tidy Towns Ballymacoda
Keeping Ballymacoda tidy
The Tidy Towns Committee for Ballymacoda aims to help keep the village tidy and to help with village enhancements and improvements. Litter picking and general village maintenance remains our focus.
The chairperson of this committee is Ger Finn.
Tidy Towns Ladysbridge
Helping Ladysbridge to stay lovely!
The aim of the Ladysbridge Tidy Towns sub-committee is to make Ladysbridge an even nicer place to live in and to visit.
We care about the local environment and our community and the character of Ladysbridge village.
We can be contacted by email at email@example.com and would love to hear from you.
Connection to Castlemartyr
The idea of getting pedestrian access to Castlemartyr Wood (Mitchell's Wood) from the village of Ladysbridge was first mentioned in the Summer of 2005. At that time SECAD ran a course on Project Planning over four Saturdays in Ladysbridge. The 'Walk in the Wood' was termed a 'long term project' - something for the future, but.. The seed was sown!
In 2011 news came of funding available through SECAD for Trail Development and this is where the present drive to achieve our goal started in earnest. The main stumbling blocks for any Trail Development in Ireland are usually the Stakeholders & money. We are lucky in that our Landowner is very happy to be involved and that once we do everything according to the terms laid down by the National Trails Office (NTO) our trail will be covered by their insurance.
We are gone beyond the planning stage now and are presently carrying out the work. We have applied for grant funding and have had some success in this regard. Our main cost is building the bridge over the Womanagh River to gain access to the wood and this is currently underway. Ten years on we're 'fingers crossed' that we'll get there soon.
We've got a host of great trails in our area
The Mitchell Trail
The walk through the woods from Ladysbridge to Castlemartyr
Knockadoon Looped Walk
The walk around Knockadoon Head is getting better all the time
A dedicated team of volunteers on the Knockadoon Enhancement Project continue to develop this looped walk to a high standard. This is a moderate walk featuring cliffs, beach and roadway.
The most recent election to the council was held in 2015. The following councillors were elected.
Constituency A (East)
The councillors for this area are Helen Treacy and Stephen Belton.
Constituency A (West)
The councillors for this area are Rosemarie Motherway and Margaret Motherway.
The councillors for this area are Sandra Burfield and Suzanne O'Sullivan.
The councillor for this area is Liz Murphy.
The councillors for this area are Denis Collins and Liz Lynch.
The councillors for this area are Denis McCarthy and Tracy O’Mahony.
The councillors for this area are Mary Rohan and James O'Keeffe
The councillors for this area are Anne Marie Griffin and Ellen Jackson.
The councillors for this area are Margaret Hyde and Pat Smiddy.
The councillor for this area is Ger Finn.
The councillors for this area are Catherine Lane and Paddy McMahon
The councillors for this area are Mike Walsh, John V. O'Brien and Aidan Healy
The councillors for this area are Eileen Hodnett and Anne O'Sullivan
We currently have no councillors for this area. If you live in this area and would like to volunteer, please contact any member of the Community Council.
The councillor for this area is Thelma Crotty.
The councillors for this area are James Rochford and Christine Conway
The councillors for this area are Evelyn Ryan and Lorna Rice Davis
The councillors for this area are Rita Law and Sheila Hayes
The councillors for this area are Martina Joyce and Paul Fearon
Photos & videos from our area and our events